Friday, June 26, 2009

Television present and future….

Today in the morning, at around 7.30 am, my mother came running to me and wifey and happily announced….some xyz was pregnant. Both me and my wife were not able to understand who, and asked her the name again. Then she told us one of the central characters in one of the television serials is pregnant…in the serial. The happiness on her face was amazing!!!!!!!

What struck me is the time at which she was seeing this serial. As if letting go of afternoon sleep for serials was not enough, compared to seeing the same episode the previous day, now serials are being seen early in the morning also.

On the other hand, I am amazed at the popularity of seeing the serials over the net. Practically I found this a better option. You can view the episodes, at your time, pause and restart at your whim, not having to worry about missing which saree the main protagonist is going to wear while facing another melodrama, and repeating a particular scene which one likes. With the advent of high speed internet and affordable rates, I feel, cable tv will surely be facing a slow death soon. Live TV is also available on the net. The only hindrance as of now is the reach of internet to the common housewife and the awareness of seeing the serial online. Once it is known to them…..I feel the future of television will be similar to what the Radio faced…..

No comments:

Post a Comment