Monday, June 14, 2010

Automation killed the typewriter

Today in the office, my attention fell on our typewriter. Sturdy old thing. Facet. Today my sisters and my own typing speeds are good , because our grandfather had insisted that we learn typing the old fashioned way. I still remember typing asdfg;lkjh on a single paper continuously. Then it struck me that last month during its service , the service person told me that he is not renewing his Annual maintenance contract. The reason being that he was finding it difficult to earn his bread and butter since more and more offices were discontinuing with typewriters. I spoke to him at length then. He said he has been offered a job as a office boy in one of the offices where he used to go to service the typewriters.

Now today I am wondering who will service my typewriter. Will have to search for some one. But automation has slowly killed many such things. Take for example the Pager. But unlike typewriters which have been in existence since long, Pagers had a very short life. There was a time, when every individual carried one, nicely attached to the belt. But in a short time, mobiles replaced the pagers.

There are many such examples, the gramophone replaced by the Tape Recorder, which in turn was replaced by Compact Disc, which in turn was replaced by MP3 players. The radio was lucky, it got a second lease of life because of FM channels, but still one doesn't see the big mono speaker radio players anymore. Moreover, one hardly sees a radio player at all, since mostly mobiles are used to access the FM channels.

Things have changed a lot in the recent times….my typewriter though old is still going good…though I only have to search for a good person to service it regularly…Long Live my Typewriter……

No comments:

Post a Comment