Monday, May 24, 2010

Take no logic(Technology)

Yesterday my Internet Service Provider sent its personal for collection of renewal amount, which was due in one day. The person, entered my account number in his cell, and all my account details were available to him immediately, wherein he filled the amount and pressed OK. Then he removed a small handheld printer and voila, out came a receipt duly printed with the details. On enquiring with him, if was in a position to accept my office internet payment also, since even that was due, he replied in affirmative, and continued with the same procedure. Really amazing at the way technology has progressed.

Recently my travel in Mumbai’s BEST AC bus made me encounter a similar system in ticket vending. Instead of the age old system of tickets, the conductor entered the details in his hand held machine and out came a printed ticket.

But this got me thinking, if my internet provider could have such a service why is it that our government does not have it. I am here talking of the census, which is being conducted throughout the nation. Instead of filling in the forms, which are later scanned, why cant the same be conducted on hand held machines. It will save the time of scanning, the data can be sorted out immediately. But no, we are still way behind in governance for which i think there is no logic at all!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Have noticed recently that even McDonalds have a similar system, while waiting in a queue, one person will take down your order on his handheld device, and by the time u reach the counter, most of your order is ready....Jaago India Jaago !! Today is 16th Feb, 2012...still waiting for Census data!!

    ReplyDelete