Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Travel back in the past

This is exactly how i felt yesterday. I had a flat tyre on my way to the office. This occurred at the Sea Link. Unfortunately my spare tyre was also flat, so asked one of my factory workers who was with me in the car to take the spare for repairing and get it back.

This was not that easy, as the cars were speeding across the sea link. We managed to request one of the drivers to take my person along with him. This reminded me of the days at the highway when even a small breakdown of the car meant difficulties galore. In fact he had trouble convincing cab drivers also to come to the sealink after having the tyre repaired.

While waiting in my car, I removed my cell phone from my pocket to call at the office. An lo, the cell phone battery had decided to ditch me. So there I was without any mode of communication, in the middle of the sea , quite literally. It was like in the past, when there were no cell phones, and one is totally cut off form the world in case of breakdowns. No PCO’s, no cell phones, no contact with anybody. For more than one hour I was just sitting over there, unaware of the time (because of my bad habit of depending on the cellphone watch, i dont wear a wrist watch), watching the cars zip thru. This was how the Mumbai Highways used to be around 25 years back.

Though here I would like to appreciate the fact that the sea-link CCTV’s were watching on me, and the towing van did infact turn up, after an hour or so, but during that period, I felt that I have travelled back in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment