Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Accident waiting to happen

The curves on Worli Bandra Sea Link require good maneuverability by the car driver. Over speed often lead to crashing in the crash railings installed on the side of the sea route. However what has always scared me is that till the second carriageway of the sea link is commissioned, traffic is allowed from 08122009034 both sides on the current carriageway. What if some nerd is not able to control his vehicle and crashes into the approaching car from the other end. This is what I witnessed today. A  driver was not able to control his car at a curve….and crashed into a car coming from the opposite direction. The accident had fatal results, but what I really thought was a saving grace(?) for the family of the deceased was the fact that the car didn't topple over and land in the water, because there I am sure our Mumbai Coast Guard would have found it very difficult to get the car out. I am sure we are not equipped for such tragedies. This brings me to my fear, what if an alive person goes down in the water along with the car. A sure shot watery grave. Scary. But I feel this is one accident waiting to happen, and we Mumbaikars are going to find that we were not able to save that person because there was no proper equipment ready at hand to do so.

2 comments:

  1. It is always a question as to why accidents happen? Are we such bad drivers? Have we no sense of what to do on the road.. 9 out of 10, the answer has always been, we are in a hurry.

    The faster we drive, the sooner we arrive, the quicker we grow, all these are now necessities of life that we simply are not willing to do without.

    Until such time we manage ourselves, these situations will arise, fatalies will occur and we would always move with our lives hanging by the skin of our fingers, simply becuase some idiot was not willing to spare 5 extra minutes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajesh, it really shook me up to see your comment today, when I happened to see two more cars crashed in an accident on the sea route.
    You are right, speed is the killer. But sometimes it can be for no fault of yours at all. When I started driving , my friends dad told me, you might become a very good driver, no doubt about it, but the person in the other car might be a very big nerd. Beware of that person. I have always found his words true.

    ReplyDelete