Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mumbai water woes

Recently I read an article in the newspaper about how a Municipal Corporater almost came to tears in the Municipal house while describing her situation with the people in her constituency, who came to her residence at odd times complaining about the erratic water supply, this inspite the Municipal Corporation of Mumbai, withdrawing its water cut. The Hydraulic Department  responsible for water supply responded back saying that if they tried rectifying the supply for one are, another area started suffering because of the way the entire network of pipeline was layed.
Frankly, I am not an expert at this, but it did made me recall a simulator game I used to play, Simcity 2000. As my city used to grow, I needed to connect more and more water pipelines, and as the web of pipelines started growing there were always areas which faced difficulties with the supply of water.
Mumbai’s growth I guess is something similar to my experience of Simcity, connections are just added and the loop of pipelines, just keep on adding to the mess. Our people in Municipal Corporation might be inexperienced like me, or are at loss at rectifying the problem, because somebody before them might have sanctioned laying of pipeline, without worrying about the future.
I dont thing this issue will ever get solved, unless the entire pipe network is re-layed……..

No comments:

Post a Comment