Monday, February 1, 2010

Save the tiger

Mufasa: You see, Simba. Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.
Simba: But dad, don't we eat the antelope?
Mufasa: Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

I start off with this dialogue from the movie The Lion King. Yesterday while watching Tv, I happened to see an commercial by a cellular company, which was informing us that there are only around 1400 odd tigers left in India. We have to save them.

My head had only one question in it……WHY???? I mean why should we save the tiger? How is it going to be helpful to us. What does the Tiger do for us?

Surprisingly the same question was also going on in my sons head, and he finally popped it to me and my wife.

I wont deny that even I would like to know why the tiger is to be saved? Just because it is our National Animal?

Frankly I wonder how many people care a damn. Deforestation is a priority today, jungles are being destroyed to make way for the Concrete jungle. So these last 1400 odd tigers need to be saved for what …..to be kept in the Zoo?

Priority should be given to save the forests, the trees, our nature. If the natural habitat is destroyed then what is the use of saving the tiger. Sadly no one is looking at that angle.

1 comment:

  1. Truly Spoken.. We often see instances where people just out of some guilt conciensce or simply to be a part of a group, start a hue and a cry over something that they would never bother about?

    Why should we save it indeed? Only for poaching, for some rich people to do shikar or as you rightly said, to put in a zoo, where chances are they will be starved and killed..

    We do not look at the big picture and have a tendency only to look at the immediate issue on hand, simply because every one is talking about it. People never did, never will. You can only have one Tata or Birla or an Ambani..

    ReplyDelete