Monday, May 19, 2008

Needs and Wants

This started as a discussion between me and my wife, while stuck in traffic, and then very sportingly, we converted it into a game. Our distance of over 30 mins was well spend, and we were really amazed by the results.
It started with our wishlists. What material things we require, and out of fun, we started segregating the things into NEED and WANT.
After having disposed of my car, the main wish has always been buying a car again. Travelling in rikshaws and taxis has now made us both realise, that we WANT a car, but dont NEED a car.
The best example can be taken from our recent trip to Juhu beach, where we were lucky to go in a rickshaw. Seeing people stuck over there in long queues, waiting for their chance to park their cars, certainly made us think it was a wise decision not to bring a car(as if i have one right now). But it certainly make me feel energetic not having to drive the distance of 20 km for more than one and half hour to reach there. It certainly makes me feel more in a good mood, just getting off near the entrance to the beach, without having to travel round and round in the car, searching for a good parking place. With good cabs also coming out, i really think I dont need a car. But i do WANT a car. Status symbol....kids growing up, ease of moving out without having to hail a rikshaw or a cab.
Similary, Gold always comes in the catergory of WANT. I can never say, I NEED gold. So what do we need? Simple , I NEED ........ :) still thinking what I NEED. I am currently infested by WANTS only. Can anybody help. What do we need and what do we want. I am certainly going to put up my needs up soon, if i have any.....

No comments:

Post a Comment